CHILDBIRTH EDUCATION COURSES
with Katie Wise
Dynamic, Fun, and Experiential, I created Yo Mama’s Inspired Birth originally as a childbirth class for my doula clients. I was tired of seeing women have to choose a childbirth class with a singular method. Some methods had great exercises, some had tons of grounded information, and others focused on a specific hypnosis technique that may not work for all mamas. And many classes seemed to increase a couple's fears. Yo Mama’s Inspired Birth has something for everyone, and affirms birth as a natural, normal, and sacred event.
We incorporate massage, active labor positions, breathwork, birth art, visualization, labor support techniques that really work, and my original hypnosis program: Hypnomama. Most importantly, the class is fun and funny, because laughter is one of the best ways to release our fears. Couples graduate with the tools they need for the birth that unfolds for them, no matter what, in any setting. They connect with their babies and with each other, often making lifelong friends. Each couple is helped to move from a place of fear to a place of excitement and adventure getting ready for their own unique birthing experience.
Prenatal and Labor Support Techniques
- The physiology of birth, and fight or flight response to labor
- optimal birth positions
- labor support: what women need in labor
- massage and acupressure
- how to prepare your partner for natural childbirth's sights, sounds and challenges
- Hypnomama, a complete hypnosis program to surrender deeply into birth with less intensity/pain and a shorter labor overall
- optimizing your chances for a natural birth through strong preparation
- Choosing a birthplace and care provider that matches your desires
Labor and Care Providers
- stages of labor
- normal labor progress, and signposts to help you know where you are in labor
- slower labor, detours, and how to get labor back on track
- using the senses to help support the labor process
- writing your birth preferences
- communicating with care providers during pregnancy and labor
- how to use doula support for birth and/or post partum
- natural methods to help avoid intervention
- special 'partners class' to help prepare your partner for the birth and postpartum period (with my husband)
- Preparing for the postpartum period using the Bio/Psycho/Social map
- realistic expectations for the postpartum period
- a gentle approach to sleep and scheduling in the first six weeks
- postpartum depression prevention and awareness
- natural remedies for mama and baby in the post partum period
- preparing your community and extended family to support you the way that you need to be supported.
- protecting your partnership so that it can thrive after baby's arrival.
This 5 week experiential, fun, and active childbirth class combines the best of Birthing From Within, Bradley, and Hypnosis. Connect with your partner, create community, and get ready for a wonderful birth experience in any setting be it home, hospital, or birth center.
Highlights of this class include:
- Hands-on practice in every class
- Fun, inviting approach, inclusive to to all families
- Dynamic exercises to bring clarity to your vision for labor
- Comprehensive textbook and Complete Hypnosis program
- Pregnancy, empowered birth, and healthy postpartum
The 6th class is an official make-up and will only be used in the event of class cancellation some other time in the series or as extra practice for larger classes. Please plan your schedule to be open for all dates.
Upcoming dates TBD
Thursdays, May 14th to June 11th, 6:30-9pm
Thursdays, July 9th to August 6th, 6:30-9pm
Thursdays, August 20th to September 17th, 6:30-9pm
Thursdays, October 1st to October 29th, 6:30-9pm
Thursdays, November 12th to December 17th, 6:30-9pm
Upcoming Dates tbd
Some words from Inspired Birth graduates:
"I just wanted to drop you all a quick note to say THANK YOU so much for your help in creating the birth we wanted for our son. Thanks in part to fabulous acupuncture induction sessions, he decided to be born 2 days before our 42-week scheduled medical induction, which was a great relief to me (not at all excited about pitocin). Our birth was med-free, clocked at about 8 hours total, and was expertly stewarded by Hypnomama and my well-educated husband who knew how to care for me during surges. Now we've got a healthy little man and are learning more about parenting every day" ~Andria
"Being on the the other side of labor and delivery now, I have to express my awe and gratitude for what my body, as a woman, was capable of accomplishing. Thank the good goddess, Katie, that you put together the Hypnomama mp3's. Putting those on repeat on my iPod throughout the first night of labor was what set the tone for my zen space and ability to maintain focus during the rest of the labor and delivery process." ~ Kristen
"I wanted to thank you for all I gained during the YoMaMa birthing classes we just completed. Thank you for the chance to learn, hear, say and feel, all those things that transpired during the brief but earnest hours we spent together in the YoMaMa Birthing Class. Before the class being a partner to my wife during the birth of our daughter was an idea, but I cannot say it was a plan. Those precious five monday nights we spent together helped me grow secure and sure of my own ability to perform when the time came. The classes helped me understand labor from the outside, and helped me understand how I can participate.
As much as the technical, educational component of the classes - the emotional charge I got from coming into contact with twenty other open,sincere, vulnerable hearts and minds on the same path as our little family is on, is the magical ingredient allowing me to use the tools I was given with love and trust, rather than timidity and fear. I know we are not alone.
I send you this letter with such gratitude in my heart. The magic of the class came from how you spun together the breath and heart of all who attended, all who contributed their truths to the collective story of what it is to become parents. Thank you for opening and holding that space for us, together." Noah
"He [my partner] felt equally as supported and educated as I did, and he made some sweet connections with the other dads. I'm so happy we were able to attend all of the childbirth classes together," ~ Lindsay
"For me, the double hip squeeze was awesome, as was the moaning (I forget the term you used...long deep breath with sound?), and I really liked the position resting my chest on the ball. Also, thinking about surrendering to the pain and allowing my body to do what it needed to do. You had mentioned this several times and it really stuck with me and helped a lot (made the pain almost enjoyable). It was very special that Michael was able to catch the baby, which was something we would have never asked about had I not heard about it in class. What surprised me the most was how easy and natural it all was. Thanks so much for your guidance and support! I feel very blessed to have had the experience I did through pregnancy and childbirth! You have provided a wonderful community and collection of resources to expecting mothers, oh and the yoga was great too!" ~ Shelby
"Thanks, Katie for a great class and book. What was most useful for me was being around your calming presence. Sounds wacky, but really it helped us both to really be chill about the whole entire process. Your delivery of information in a clean, concise & eloquent way was really lovely. You did a great job of helping us all to build relationships and giving us opportunities to get to know other couples. Wasn't expecting that - and I loved it. The Inspired Birth class is a great mixture of multiple tools, so when the time comes - will have multiple options of things to try. It's nice feeling our tool bag is very diversified. And class was FUN!” ~ Sharon
“I enjoyed the last class the most. I loved learning from Dr. Roy, and I think it was really helpful to hear about postpartum & to understand what to expect/how to plan support for it. “ ~Mike
“I loved learning massage techniques (head massage for the win!), and splitting up the mamas and dads to talk/share for a bit.” ~ John